Are you experiencing mild to moderate symptoms of SARS-CoV-2?
This clinical research study is looking at the safety and effectiveness of a treatment for COVID-19 in people who are immunocompromised.
Would you like to take part?
Patients with COVID-19 who are immunocompromised have a higher chance of severe illness. Such patients may benefit from longer treatment durations compared to the standard treatment regimen. The purpose of the clinical trial is to evaluate the efficacy (how well a study treatment works in the clinical trial) and safety when taking the study medicine for either 5, 10, or 15 days.
All the study medication will be taken by mouth. The first dose of study medication is taken at the study site and the rest at home. People taking part will be in this study for about 24 weeks. Enrolled participants will need to visit the study site at least 10 times during the study.
As a volunteer in a research study, you will receive study-related medical care from the study doctor and regular follow up of your condition to monitor the effectiveness of the care you will receive. The results of this research will be used to find out if the investigational medication being studied will be of benefit to other patients with COVID-19, and whether it will be made widely available in Canada. Study volunteers are an important part of moving medical care forward.
You may qualify to participate in this study if you:
- Have a confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection
- Are immunocompromised (due to age, chronic disease, medications etc.)
- Have experienced the onset of signs/symptoms attributable to the current COVID-19 infection within 5 days prior to screening and one or more signs/symptoms attributable to COVID-19 present on the day of randomization
You may not qualify to participate in this study if you:
- Are in current need of hospitalization or are anticipated to need hospitalization within 24 hours after randomization
- Have a known medical history of active liver disease
- Have a known HIV infection
- Are receiving dialysis
- Are currently using any prohibited concomitant medication(s)
- Are pregnant
There are other eligibility requirements that the study doctor will review. Only the study doctor can finally determine whether you are eligible to participate in the study or not.
Learn more about JoinAStudy.ca researchers’ work on COVID-19 research here: https://joinastudy.ca/vir-and-gsk-break-ground-in-covid-19-treatment-study/