The Complete Flu Guide: Symptoms, Treatments, and Vaccine FAQ
Flu season has arrived, and with it, questions about the best way to protect yourself and your family. Do you have children under the age of five? Are you or any members of your family at increased risk of developing complications from the flu due to a chronic illness, such as asthma?
Whatever your situation, the best way to protect yourself and your loved ones is by recognizing the flu for what it is: a serious illness.
Read on to find answers to all your influenza questions. Our flu resources are constantly growing, so bookmark this page and check back often for updates.
Is The Flu Shot Safe? Influenza Myths & Truths
Don’t believe everything you hear about the flu shot. When it comes to deciding whether you’ll get vaccinated this year, it’s important to separate fact from fiction.
Will the flu shot give you the flu? If you get the vaccine, can you still get the flu? Who should avoid getting the flu shot? What’s the harm in getting sick for a few days, anyway…
Read on to find out why the flu shot is your best protection against the flu, and protect yourself and your family by understanding the science that disproves common flu shot myths.
Influenza Vaccine: Common Side Effects and Other FAQs
How does the flu vaccine prevent you from getting the flu? And just how effective is it? Are the side effects worth the trouble?
You might be surprised to learn that flu shot side effects are usually mild—certainly much milder than the symptoms you’ll experience if you fall sick with the flu. Everyone 6 months and older should be vaccinated against the flu. For those at risk of complications, the flu shot is a must…
Find out when and where to get you and your family vaccinated against the flu, and learn what to expect after you get the flu shot.
How to Treat the Flu (and What Not to Do)
From chicken soup to antiviral medication to vitamin C, chances are you’ve heard of more than a few of these common flu treatments.
Though you’re probably doing all you can to avoid falling sick with the flu, what happens if you do? Some treatments can make coping with the flu easier, while others not so much…
Continue reading to understand which treatments can help you, and which ones you should avoid.
Influenza Season: How To Prevent The Flu
If you’ve already noticed people around you getting sick with the flu, you might be wondering exactly what you can do to avoid getting it.
While there are no guarantees that you won’t catch the flu this season, there are a few things that you can do to reduce your chances of getting sick…
Read on to learn the four simple habits that will help you and your family stay healthy this influenza season.
The Different Types of Influenza
If you’ve heard about bird flu or avian flu on the news in recent years, you might be wondering whether these extremely serious forms of the influenza virus are the same as the seasonal flu virus.
Read on to find out about the three main types of virus that case the flu, and understand which ones are most likely to have a serious effect on human health.
The Difference Between a Cold and the Flu
Can you tell the difference between cold and flu symptoms?
Though these two common illnesses both affect the respiratory system and share a number symptoms, the flu poses a bigger threat to your health.
Learn the telltale signs of the common cold and compare them with those of the flu. Understanding the difference can help you to understand how to act when you or a loved one gets sick.
Though nothing you can do will guarantee you won’t get the flu this season, you can take steps to reduce your risk. Your best defense? Getting the flu shot. This resource guide can help you to understand the truth behind common flu and flu prevention myths. You’ll learn what to expect when you get the shot, and how to treat the flu if you or someone you love gets sick.
Learn how the JoinAStudy community is breaking ground when it comes to helping people like you get real health results. Click here to browse our list of active studies (https://joinastudy.ca/active-studies/).
- BBC: Exercise Can Prevent A Cold, A Study Shows (http://www.bbc.com/news/health-11664660)
- Berkely Wellness: 6 Things About Hand Sanitizers (http://www.berkeleywellness.com/self-care/over-counter-products/article/6-things-know-about-hand-sanitizers)
- Best Health: 6 Myths About Mouthwash (http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-you/oral-health/6-reasons-to-rinse-well-with-mouthwash/3/)
- CBC: Flu Shot Effectiveness for 2015-16 (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-flu-shot-vaccine-skowronski-h1n1-1.3669427)
- CDC: Avian Influenza A Virus Infections in Humans (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/avian-in-humans.htm)
- CDC: Flu Symptoms & Complications (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/complications.htm)
- CDC: Flu Treatment: Antiviral Drugs (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/antivirals/)
- CDC: Flu Vaccine Safety Information (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/general.htm)
- CDC: How Flu Spreads (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/spread.htm)
- CDC: Misconceptions About Seasonal Flu and Flu Vaccines (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/misconceptions.htm)
- CDC: Pregnant? Get a Flu Shot (http://www.cdc.gov/features/pregnancyandflu/)
- CDC: Preventing the Flu (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/habits.htm)
- CDC: Seasonal Flu Shot (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/flushot.htm)
- CDC: Take 3 Actions to Prevent the Flu (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/preventing.htm)
- CDC: Teaching Children About the Flu (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pdf/freeresources/updated/teachingchildrenflu.pdf)
- CDC: Vaccine Effectiveness: How Well Does the Flu Vaccine Work? (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm)
- CDC: What You Should Know About Flu Antiviral Drugs (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/antivirals/whatyoushould.htm)
- Everyday Health: 8 Ways You Could Be Making Your Cold Worse (http://www.everydayhealth.com/cold-flu-pictures/common-mistakes-that-prolong-sickness.aspx#01)
- Everyday Health: How Long Does the Flu Last? (http://www.everydayhealth.com/flu/guide/how-long-does-the-flu-last/)
- Everyday Health: Protect Yourself From the Cold and Flu (http://www.everydayhealth.com/cold-and-flu-pictures/ways-to-prevent-colds-and-flu.aspx#07)
- Health: 10 Surprising Ways to Prevent Colds and Flu (http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20752945,00.html)
- Health: 10 Ways to Soothe a Sore Throat (http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20640098,00.html/view-all#saltwater-gargle-1)
- Health: Superfoods That Fight Colds (http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20631007,00.html)
- Healthline: 7 Ways to Flu-Proof Your Home (http://www.healthline.com/health/flu-proof-home)
- Healthline: Flu Shot: Learn the Side Effects (http://www.healthline.com/health/flu-shot-side-effects#FluShots1)
- Healthline: Is it a Cold or the Flu? (http://www.healthline.com/health/cold-flu/cold-or-flu#Overview1)
- Healthline: Lower Your Risk of Getting the Flu (http://www.healthline.com/health/flu/lower-your-flu-risk#LowerYourRisk1)
- Healthline: Who Should Get the Flu Shot? (http://www.healthline.com/health/cold-flu/flu-shot#Overview1)
- HealthLink BC: Influenza (Flu) Myths & Facts (https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthlinkbc-files/flu-vaccine-myth-facts)
- Healthy Canadians: Flu Clinics (http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/diseases-conditions-maladies-affections/disease-maladie/flu-grippe/clinic-clinique-eng.php)
- Healthy Canadians: Prevention of Flu (http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/diseases-conditions-maladies-affections/disease-maladie/flu-grippe/prevention-eng.php)
- LiveScience: 6 Flu Vaccine Myths (http://www.livescience.com/24354-6-flu-vaccine-myths.html)
- Mayo Clinic: Handwashing: Do’s and Don’ts (http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/hand-washing/art-20046253)
- Medical Daily: Ginger Ale Has Been Known to Soothe a Stomach Ache, But is it an Old Wives’ Tale? (http://www.medicaldaily.com/pulse/ginger-ale-has-been-known-soothe-stomach-ache-it-old-wives-tale-353210)
- MedicineNet: A Cold or the Flu? (http://www.medicinenet.com/cold_flu_pictures_slideshow_is_it_a_cold_or_flu/article.htm)
- MedicineNet: How Long is a Cold or Flu Contagious? (http://www.medicinenet.com/how_long_is_a_cold_or_flu_contagious/article.htm)
- Public Health Agency of Canada: Statement on Seasonal Influenza Vaccine (http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/naci-ccni/flu-2015-grippe-eng.php)
- Statistics Canada: Flu Vaccination Rates in Canada (http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-624-x/2015001/article/14218-eng.htm)
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Ginger (http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/ginger)
- WebMD: 8 Tips to Treat Colds and Flu the ‘Natural’ Way (http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/8-tips-to-treat-colds-and-flu-the-natural-way#5)
- Web MD: 10 Home Remedies for the Flu (http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features/treating-flu-at-home)
- Web MD: Best and Worst Drinks When You Have a Cold (http://symptoms.webmd.com/cold-flu-map/how-to-stay-hydrated-when-youre-sick)
- Web MD: FAQ About Bird Flu (http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-guide/what-know-about-bird-flu?page=1)
- Web MD: Flu Shot Fact Sheet (http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/prevention-15/vaccines/flu-shot-facts)
- Web MD: Flu Treatment (http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-guide/flu-treatment)
- Web MD: Flu Treatment with Antiviral Drugs (http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-guide/flu-medications)
- Web MD: Home Remedies for Fast Flu Relief (http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-guide/home-remedies-for-fast-flu-relief)
- Web MD: How Not to Spread the Flu (http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/spreading-flu-do-you-know-the-rules)
- Web MD: How to Choose Over-the-Counter Cold & Flu Meds (http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/buy-fast-relief-cold-flu)
- Web MD: How to Prevent the Flu (http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-guide/cold_flu_stopping_germs_work)
- Web MD: Is it a Cold or the Flu? (http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/discomfort-15/cold-flu-season/is-it-a-cold-or-flu)
- Web MD: Neti Pot, Nasal Irrigation Pot Pros and Cons (http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/neti-pot-nasal-irrigation-pros-and-cons)
- Web MD: Prevent Flu: Soap Away Germs (http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features/prevent-flu-soap-away-germs)
- Web MD: Science Finally Shows What Grandma Knew All Along (http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20001017/science-finally-shows-what-grandma-knew-all-along)
- Web MD: Types of Flu (http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-guide/advanced-reading-types-of-flu-viruses)
- Web MD: Vitamin C for the Common Cold (http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/vitamin-c-for-common-cold#2)